- my dogs, my world
- My name is Lesli Hyland. In my forty seven years on this earth, my home and my heart have been graced with the company of twenty dogs. Many came to me as seniors. All of them taught me something and helped determine the course of my life. I am a dog trainer because of them. I met my friends because of them. My husband and I are are forever bonded by our mutual connection to them. As a dog trainer I have access to other people's dogs and I am allowed to share in their unique relationships. The dogs make me a better person by forcing me to closely examine my motivation, my actions and my choices. Everything I do affects their behavior, safety and happiness. It is an awesome responsibility. The dogs keep me honest.
Thursday, September 27, 2012
Mamacita - a training update
If you read my previous blog about Cita's training challenges , you'll recall the following list:
1. reactivity toward strange dogs and strange people.
3. Jumping, pulling on leash, lack of basic manners; intolerance of handling
4. scratching at people and dogs when excited and playful; scratching on doors to get out/ in
5. chewing/ destructive behavior
I'm happy to report that we've made some substantial progress!
She is walking nicely now on a Sensation Harness.
Her scratching on US has decreased slightly with consistent discouragement.
She has learned SIT and DOWN.
She is learning HERE, GO ON, OUT for agility.
Her reactivity is much less pronounced. She is learning that staying focused on me is HIGHLY rewarded. Yes, she forgets herself if the trigger (person/ dog) is too close or too stimulating. But her lunging/ barking can be shut down easily simply by increasing distance.
In general she is more relaxed...still active, but not constantly in frenetic motion!
She is doing great with long line training on hikes. She checks in often and comes when I call. She spends more time at the end of the line than I would like, but in time with lots of reinforcement, I am confident that she'll stick closer within the 50 foot radius allowed her.
She continues to get along nicely with all the dogs. She gives Tucker, Pogo, Cubby and Tawnie their space and plays like a maniac with Belle and Lupie. She has started playing tentatively with Tucker and Cubby. Tawnie has discovered that Cita is fun to chase, but she's pretty intense about and Cita isn't quite sure how she feels about it! We're watching that carefully.
She is a work in progress...
I'm really excited to start her in Agility!