About Me

My photo
My name is Lesli Hyland. In my fifty three years on this earth, my home and my heart have been graced with the company of twenty eight dogs. Many came to me as seniors. All of them taught me something and helped determine the course of my life. I became a dog trainer because of them. I met my friends because of them. My husband and I are are forever bonded by our mutual connection to them. Currently, as a Dog Walker I have access to other people's dogs and I am allowed to experience their unique personalities. The dogs make me a better person by forcing me to closely examine my motivation, my actions and my choices. Everything I do affects their behavior, safety and happiness. It is an awesome responsibility. The dogs keep me honest.

Friday, December 2, 2022

Chalupa


 In 2008 a large number of animals were seized from a residence in Brandon, VT. One of those victims was a tiny, timid long haired Chihuahua.  I was instantly in love and signed up to foster to adopt.  Because there so many dogs seized I offered to foster a short haired Chihuahua as well.  That is how Chalupa (aka Lupie aka Ese) came to live with us.  Not as a chosen pup but as a good deed. 

When the dogs were finally allowed to legally be adopted we placed Little One (the long haired Chi) with our friend Joanne from our vet clinic.  It turned out that Little One was terrified of Brian and intimidated by our bigger dogs.  Joanne was single and had a family of “littles”. It was a much better fit for this dog I fell in love with and Joanne helped heal my broken heart by giving her what we couldn’t.  With Little One gone, we decided, what the hell, we should keep Lupie.  She was spunky and nonplussed by our multi pet household. And it didn’t hurt that she was cute as hell.

Lupie was trained on agility equipment and took to it with her usual confidence. Unfortunately, due to her independent nature she was never completely trustworthy off a leash outside, so we tabled my competition plans. Instead she went to work with me at Red Dog Solutions.  She was the queen of my small dog playgroup.  She learned tricks and performed in our variety show fund raiser. Her performances were often comical, as she had her own agenda… always.

At home Lupie held a commanding position.  She felt it was her duty to keep the other dogs well groomed, which she did by licking their faces often and obsessively, whether they wanted her to or not.  Lupie peed on our rugs constantly and left poop on the floor for us to step on in the morning. She was independent, pushy and a bit of a brat. She basically did whatever she wanted for 14 years. 

A collapsing trachea took away Lupie’s quality of life.  And rather than watch her cough and cough and cough and eventually struggle to breathe and lose her  lifelong confidence, we let her go today.  We will miss the little shit more than I could ever express.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful 💜
    I so remember that adoption time and the special party with Mexican food to celebrate the adoption. I will miss her so much and I think I won't be able to look at the back of your couch without seeing her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful tribute to your sassy girl. Hold on tight to those memories. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. The love you have shown her and others through the years is aspirational! She had an amazing life with you being the queen that she was. I am sorry for the loss you and Brian are feeling now but am so glad you gave her all the years you did. And thank you for making a decision no one likes to make to allow her to leave this earth without suffering!

    ReplyDelete