About Me

My photo
My name is Lesli Hyland. In my fifty three years on this earth, my home and my heart have been graced with the company of twenty eight dogs. Many came to me as seniors. All of them taught me something and helped determine the course of my life. I became a dog trainer because of them. I met my friends because of them. My husband and I are are forever bonded by our mutual connection to them. Currently, as a Dog Walker I have access to other people's dogs and I am allowed to experience their unique personalities. The dogs make me a better person by forcing me to closely examine my motivation, my actions and my choices. Everything I do affects their behavior, safety and happiness. It is an awesome responsibility. The dogs keep me honest.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Belle

My dog, Belle, has started slowing down on hikes...she sleeps alot...shows chronic stiffness...and seems a bit depressed.  There is a slight abnormality in her right eye.  There is a slight head tilt to the right.  She is weight shifting off her left side.  Accupuncture, laser and chiropractic work have not given her any significant relief.
She is not in acute distress.  She doesn't cry or complain when her limbs are stretched and manipulated...she has no fever...she is eating, drinking and eliminating normally.  Her blood work and urinalysis showed no issues.  She still plays with the other dogs. 
But she is not herself.
Yeah she's getting older - she'll be 11 in June.
But she is not herself.  She seems...worried.  That's the best way I can describe it.


It was not a surprise that her yearly 4DX Lyme test came back positive.  But when we did the follow up quantitative C6 test, we did get a surprise - a nasty one.
Any result over 35 is considered worrisome.

Belle's result was OVER 640.

Now before I freaked out, I did some research.  This incredibly high antibody count could mean that her body recently had a huge immune response to exposure to the disease.  It isn't really a measurement of "how lyme positive" she is.  The test is used to determine if subsequent treatment results in a significant drop in the number.  That tells you if treatment is successful. 

I am hoping that doxycycline will result in Belle feeling more like herself.  If it is going to help we will know pretty quickly.   I am hopeful that we can treat her lyme successfully.

I am worried that there is more going on , as is my vet. But at least we have an immediate course of action for now.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow. I would jump right to freaking out too. :-(

    Hope the treatment is successful and she is back to herself soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Belle, I do hope the antibiotic works quickly.

    ReplyDelete